Saturday, March 7, 2009

The Best Plans

We saw Kelly off at around 11-ish and took off down Rte 70 East bound .. but not down. Marty's grapefruit had some fluid pulled out of it and you can now tell the difference between his knee and his calf. Better yet, he was feeling good as we pedaled along.

I too, felt pretty good. Kelly was a great help. She brought a stearer tube extender from James at PC Bike so I could raise my bars to eliminate my upper back and neck pain -- it totally worked, although those who know my riding style would never believe I would have a road bike where the seat and the tops were level. But enough Bike-talk drivel....

So there we were - going to do 30 miles and camp out down by the Coolidge Dam. Wellllll... there was this monster tail wind and much less ups and downs if we took the alternate route straight towards Safford, AZ. So we did. 60 miles later we sit in Fort Thomas. So we didn't keep it to 30 miles today, but even though there was a good amount of climbing, it was like a 30 mile effort.

Fort Thomas was as you might guess was the site of a fort during the Indian Wars. It is now the site of the Lions Club (the founder of the international Lions Club was born here), a convenience store and a Honky Tonk complete with corogated steel siding and big red letters:

BEER - FOOD

These being two of our favorite things, we stopped and asked at the convenience store if we could pitch our tent somewhere and not get shot (ha ha). The clerk, who apparently also runs the Honky Tonk said "sure - the Lions club"!. But she did warn us that the music could be loud until 1 AM. If the wind holds up, we will not hear them, if not, we will go over and enjoy the band.

I think she said the Good Ole Blues Brothers Boys Band was going to be playing the theme to Rawhide repeatedly.

We'll see!

Jake


PS - Scullys - our Great Grandfather's half brother was NOT stationed here at Fort Thomas - he was at Fort GRant and Camp Thomas (later to become Fort Apache). But I am sure he matered the quarters well where ever he feathered... er... made his bed.

1 comment:

  1. Good to hear that Marty is feeling better and can continue. Just to measure the interest level I put out some inquiries for guest riders and unfortunately the response was not what I expected. Sadly to say the best I could do was an irish guy with a wooden leg. On the upside the dude had a bottle opener installed where his calf would've been so it he would have been handy in the honky tonk.

    I am glad you are encountering friendly people thus far along the way. As youe make it to Texas and further South remember that there is no good answer to "ya'll ain't from around here are ya"

    In any event you are both an inspiration to us all. Why I myself will only drink six beers today as I watch Amy and Conner rake leaves!

    As alway, good luck and stay in the saddle.

    ReplyDelete