Saturday, March 14, 2009

Not the best of Texas

Our morning ride out of NM was pretty nice as we passed Pecan trees, farms, horse ranches and a polo field. We dropped into Texas, without any signs or fan fair, into a really ugly part of El Paso on Texas 20. It was like we were suddenly in a junk yard, mixed with a flee market and parking lot with our road going through it. It did get better after a few miles but honestly it does not represent Texas well.

El Paso from what we saw is a really long skinny city squished between some mountains and the Mexican boarder. Our directions had a hic-up on one of our turns (that's my story) and we ended in a part of El Paso that two guys in tights should not be. We just kept rolling and found our way out.

While like every city there are good parts and not so good, our route exposed us to much more of the latter. We could see some beautiful homes build into the mouintains overlooking the city, but we didn't go there. What we saw was strip malls and restraunts for 20+ miles. It just went on and on. Jake saidhe actually saw three Villiage Inns on the same road in Texas. Since we were not looking for a room, I didn't notice.

I'm ready for a break in the morning cool, the wind in the face and I'm missing my wife, my kids and my home.

This morning it is 35 and the wind, still in the face.

Hello to my poker gang in Chesapeake who are playing tonight. I miss you guys. Please let Sue win a couple big pots. While we are trying to not spend a bunch on the road out here, sometimes you get caught. We paid $70.00 for a dive of a motel last night because our options were that or bandit camp. Nothing else 50 miles.

That's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment