Friday, March 6, 2009

A sad morning at broken knee

I just watched Jake ride off toward Globe AZ as I sat in our camp. I'll be catching a ride with Kelly later and am trying to get into an orthopedic Clinic today. My right knee is in bad shape an our 4 days of taking is easier has not improved the situation, though I don't think it has gotten much worse.

Each night as I sleep pain builds and then in the morning I'm limping around. As the day moves on it gets feeling better and I can walk pretty normal etc. The problem is as I ride I can apply almost no pressure, which means I'm ride with one leg, the other is really just along for the ride. This has been okay for the last 3.5 days that have been fairly flat, but we have big climbing days in the coming 5 days and I need 2 legs. Riding with one leg is now causing some other issue as I have had to adjust my riding position to accomodate.

On the lighter side, we had our first Elvis sighting today in the Camp restroom. It was the older Elvis with big chops etc, but he was thin. We was decked out in biker garb, but was driving a mini van. (Look for Elvis in a white mini van.)

When we were in El Centro in Southern CA I went into a big grocery store called Carabrosa's, or something like that. I asked where they had pain medication and sun tan lotion. The gentleman did speak English and quickly got me in contact with anther man that didn't speak English who then assisted be by getting a third guy who didn't speak English. What happened next you might not believe but I said, "I need ibuprofen" he had no clue so I said "Pain medication, something for pain" and he said "mushrooms?" That made the stop worth while. I did find what I needed, without help. When I checked out I noticed the register rang up both dollars and Peso's. FYI - Ibuprofen and water is a lot of peso's. I choose to pay in dollars and hence feel like I got a great deal. You can't fool me!

That's all for now. Hoping that a day off the bike and some good news from a Dr will get me back on track. The last few days have been less than fun. Jake has been great, riding slow (not his style) and carrying more than his share of the load.

4 comments:

  1. Dr. Kelly will help! BTW, is it your low-knee or your high-knee?
    We in May-retta GA are pulling for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. jake give marty the godfather audio--that should inspire him....Tell kelly brandywine killed her palm coast team..they all knew her..and you according to them "he;ll be working every day".

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys are about two days ahead of me. I finished today in Tempe; tomorrow Apache Junction, and Sunday Globe.

    Dave VG...aka Slug ona bent

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marty! They were offering you magic mushrooms! And you settled for pills. Wow. I don't know if I should be proud or disappointed.

    ReplyDelete