Friday, March 27, 2009

Kountze to De Ridder (bye bye Texas!)

Well guys here is the deal...

We left Kountze an hour before dawn making great time on really easy roads. I even had a little appetite back and had a decent breakfast.

Sorry if this grosses anyone out, but 41 miles into the ride after numerous attempts to properly digest the aforementioned meal, my ride came to a spewing, cramping end - stomach cramps that is.

After that episode and another particularly unpleasant issue at the base of an old oak tree, I was sitting cross-legged on the shoulder of the road, helmet on the ground, deciding what to do.

As you can tell by now, despite previous reports, I was not getting much better at all. The stomach virus was probably at the end of its course, but three full days of the most yucky experiences of my life, I was clearly dehydrated and in bad shape. I could not eat or drink - bad news when you are burning 4000 - 6000 calories per day.

We slowly rode into Kirbyville, TX and I promptly called Enterprise. Marty was the only one of us to ride out of Texas. I waited for the car, then drove up to Jasper and then into Louisiana to De Ridder and the Beauregard Hospital.

Just got back after three hours of waiting, two liters of saline and a few admonishments from the Doc.

Overall my first experience with people in LA was excellent - very friendly and they have plenty of saline.

Anyway, Marty trucked on into De Ridder on his bike - I am told it was uneventful, but he did make it out of Texas and got in a full 85 miles (Dave you can deduct 45 off my total).

Tomorrow AM I decide what to do with me. The options include - go very short for a few days or return the car in Baton Rouge and meet Marty in St Francisville. I am leaning towards the former, but we will see how the system operates tonight and tomorrow AM... so to speak.

Sorry for the gross stuff, but a blog is supposed to tell it as it is, no?

Jake

No comments:

Post a Comment