Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Out of Hope but still have hope.

We were on the road before daylight to avoid what we thought would be a very hot day. As it turns out after climbing about 700 ft out of Hope it actually was colder. We stopped for breakfast in a little cafe' in Salmone. I order 2 pancakes to find out where the name can from. I was starved and I ate 1/2. These things where bigger than a plate and over 1/2 inch think. It was a cool little place an we sat by a bunch of guys in cowboys hats telling their stories of the previous few days.
Southern Arizona , as pretty as it is in the distance, along the highway it is incredibly desolate and poor looking. Most all towns consist of an RV park, a convenient store and maybe something else. Mostly there are deserted buildings. It makes all the movies I've seen about this area makes sense. No country for old men; yep, that's what I'm talking about.
The knee: big as a grapefruit and hurting. Jake is doing all he can. Tomorrow I might ride on his back.
Tonight we are in a real dive. Imagine a trashy hotel that would pait a permanent "vacancy" on their sign. NICE!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Marty and Jake, Hope you are enjoying Arizona. It's almost like "Where's Waldo?" "Where's Marty and Jake?" Virginia was full of snow and cold, I think all of us would enjoy your spot on the earth right about now. I wish you guys continued fun and adventure. Looking forward to your next blog. And have a great day. Much Fun from Team Henry....Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope the knee gets better soon. Rex said when you get to Del Rio be sure to check out the bicycle shop there and tell the guy you are his cousin. Rex started the "adventure race" when he was stationed there and they became buddies. Adventure race was bicycling, rowing, and running. I have enjoyed reading your blog and when Janet comes over I will show it to her. Wish we could see you in Texas, looks like you will be south of us about about 4 hours. If you want to come north we can put you up in comfort. Keep in touch so we will know when you make it to the big state. You will enjoy the hill country on your route. I will be in Hunt, TX on the 26-28th so let me know if you are there at that time.


    your aunt in law, Kay Calvert

    ReplyDelete